Sunday, August 22, 2010

We had a beautiful day again today. Ayman picked us up and we went to church (russian speaking). We had a translator that was an american that has been living here for 16 years. She was so good, it made me want to learn russian! The service was wonderful and we even knew the songs they were singing. They sang in russian and we sang in english. It was powerful!

After that we headed to lunch at ayman's moms. When she brought it out, I had a feeling I knew what it was. I could have died right there in my seat. Yep it was horse meat. The traditional Kazah meal called 5 fingers. I thought Brad was going to die too. BUT we put on our best face and decided we would not be disrespectful. We ate it with our hands and all. There was a few times I thought I might throw up if I really thought about it but I made it through. Ayman even let me put some of it back when her mom wasn't watching.

In this culture it is disrespectful to not eat everything that is given to you. It was fine and just the thought is what was bad not the actual meat. It was pretty good. We also had a 2 hour nap after lunch!!!! It was so nice. Then we got up and ate some homemade pastries. Her mom and dads house is in the country, very nice with a huge garden. Even sweet corn from missouri. (We brought her seeds last year). It was neat to see outside of the city a little.

I took a picture of the dinner but we won't have internet until thursday so I can't upload it yet. Stay tuned thursday for more pics!

Tomorrow is officially our first day of bonding! Can't wait to see our baby girl!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

8 comments:

  1. OH YOU BRAVE woman! SO proud that you went ahead and ate the horse meat. Oh my goodness. I tried it when there. It is really more about getting your head around the idea - oy vey. That is so nice that they hosted you two for a home meal. what an honor. YAY for bonding starting tomorrow! I am so excited and cannot believe you are actually THERE NOW!!! Much love to you and the cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you to put your game face on & choke it down. :) I would like to try it(wonder how many times we did in fact eat it & not know it, haha!) sometime just to see what the fuss is about. ;)

    How awesome that you get to see a different side of the normal adoption process because of Ayman. Can't wait for more pictures & hope your visit tomorrow is fabulous! Tell Tolken hi from us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful show of respect and honor...from you to eat the meat, from Ayman to take you to church and home! Can't wait to see more pics of your beautiful Kaz flower!!!
    Addison was in front of me at church today, loving on her big sis. I told her that her mommy wanted me to give her a big hug because Mommy loves and misses her so much. She reached up with a smile and hugged me, knowing it was from you!!! What a joy to be able to be a part of your message to her, and I'm looking forward to giving your hug to Haven when I see her at school. :)
    Continuing in prayer without doubt. Lenita

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, the things we do for our children!!!! I am so proud of you! I am so happy for you and Brad that she is bonding so well. I cant imagine how wonderful that must feel. Enjoy your time with Selah and Brad. Can't wait to see pics, I am praying for you continously, all is well. Keep your eyes above and focus on the here and now,don't worry about leaving her, God will give you the strength you need at the time you need it. Love you both!!! JIll

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool to be able to experience the real deal! And to come full circle with the corn, must have made it seem even more homey. Can't wait for tomorrow to start the count down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so glad you all made it safe and sound. We have not had internet since Wednesday night but I have been praying. She is so adorable and with fit into your family perfect. We are so happy for you all. Stay safe and I bet you are up and around getting ready to see her as I type this. Tell Brad hi for us and we love you guys bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did the absolute #1 right thing...you went with the flow. And that is all you needed to do. Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. America can even eat horse meat. You are my hero.
    Sean would have loved it, and I'm so proud of you Stace. You are no sissy.
    Did Ayman like her flip flops?
    How special to be invited to their home and see sweet Missouri corn. :)

    ReplyDelete